1/25/13

Things You'll Forget - Write it Down BEFORE You Start

Compile a list - I've been compiling mine for over 6 months now. Yours will be different, but for me this is the stuff that ended up being particularly important and there's no way I'd remember it all during chaotic conversations with builders, subcontractors, etc. I encourage you to keep a running list at all times - I send this file to my builder and then as I add things, I color-code it to red so that we both know it's an addition or edit. It's rather random, but it's invaluable when I go brain-dead during quick decisions/conversations. Keep it in the"Notes" section of your phone, too, so you can add something when it comes to mind. Disclaimer: some of this stuff was researched so long ago that I have no idea why I said it! but it must be for good reason if it's on here, so I'll just share it all...

Notes for Builder - Random:

1) If I get a choice I would prefer Fortifiber's Moistop or Tyvek's FlexWrap type flashing

2) I would like a blower test BEFORE insulation installation. (This typically leads to a slightly smaller HVAC system as most are oversized for tight ICF homes) . I might do another one after HVAC and insulation, not sure.

3) while the bulldozer is there remind me to consider having it build berms for any trees that might be in later.  also SAVE ALL THE SOIL from any excavation.  we can haul it off at the end of the build, but not before.

4) what is the cost difference between formaldehyde-free MDF and not ? assuming it’s used throughout house in places.

5) I want a Central Vac hide-a-hose system.

6) I want a water softener.

7) I want be very selective about hose bibs around the house. something to think of before ICF holes?

8) I would also like the enclosed attic/crawl with spray insulation in those areas.

9) I want to know where the tacky AC filter cover(s) is going to and for once in my life would like it not to be in the most prominent place known to man, which always seem to be the entry foyer.

10) I want weep holes installed correctly on sills. I want this to be shown to me when/as it’s being done. all exterior brick sills/similar should be at slight downward angle for proper water drainage.

11) I want thick gauge HVAC, not the cheap rattly stuff.

12) If I get a choice I would prefer low VOC paint, low VOC counter glue, low urethane products when needed.

13) please do not assume I want wire shelves in closet. I assume we can discuss before installation.

14) There should be no hack saws/tools other than special drill bits that appropriately accommodate valves/pipes going through walls and cabinets. There will be no gaping holes that are bigger than the pipe going into the wall, and for the remaining gap they will be sealed appropriately which most always involves a better compound than regular caulk since it eventually dries and cracks. You understand that holes will be properly sized to the type of mechanism going through, and then the appropriate, non-degrading sealant material will ensure a properly sealed passageway.  In other words, I don't want a 6-inch hole for a 1-inch pipe.

15) If possible I would like plywood floor installed in the attic as opposed to exposed rafters only.

16) we want an alarm system.

17) all walls should be painted in a cream color, I need to pick out color. all windows will come as unfinished pine on interior and will need to be stained a black or deep brown.

18) where does the chase go?  this is needed for future wiring edits after ICF pour

19) screws in the sheetrock, not nails

20) dimmers in kitchen & great room electrical

21) motion sensor light in garage

22) fan in rec room

23) run conduit under driveway to backyard in case future plumbing/electric ever needed

24) Lint trap for dryer vent: http://www.reversomatic.com/category/Accessories-/Lint-Traps.html

25) A master switch in mudroom by garage door that turns off all of the power to the switches/lights in the house, so that you can turn off all lights without going to each room and/or light switch.

26) Make sure for all interior stick-build walls, the sheetrock is caulked at the bottom where the baseboard goes. No gap, as is typical.

27) Built in ironing board master closet

28) Also, put in a bypass for the water softener, so that you can still get water to the house, if the softener needs to be repaired or replaced. Lastly, sodium softened water can kill house plants, so put in a separate line to 1. all exterior hose bibs, and 2. kitchen sink.

29) Have electrician wire home in 2 breaker boxes for essentials and non essentials in case you wish to add an emergency generator in the future.

30) Put a 6" wall behind your washer and dryer - they can sit flat against the wall because the vent can go down through the wall.

31) Radiant barrier sheathing for roof?

32) Don’t put thermostat in hallway above stairs – not accurate

No comments:

Post a Comment