2/3/13

Foyer (and the front door dilemma)

This will pretty much be the foyer.  I love it for it's unusual shape and arched door. 

Mediterranean Entry design by Atlanta Architect Summerour Architects

ICF: SPLAYED WINDOW DETAIL
One detail I don't want to be overlooked is the splayed cut for the upper window.  I'll be interested to see how it goes on an ICF wall - I guess they just do accurate cuts?  We'll see.  There are a few other splayed windows in our great room, too, that will need to be done in the same way. 

A VINTAGE FRONT DOOR...
TO USE OR NOT TO USE?I fell in love with a vintage door available at a local architectural salvage company.   I would love to use it as our front door after it gets some TLC, but when I was about to purchase it last week, I noticed the grooves went all the way to the top.  This could potentially mean a less-than-great seal, not to mention I'm already risking that the door may be imperfect, though it looks like it's in great condition from all angles that we measured.  I do love it: 


What do you think?   At the very least, I've contemplated using it as our back garage door instead, since that's a stick-build and having an airtight shell is not so much of a concern.  Not to mention it would make a beautiful statement from the back, but I'm just not sure how that would integrate with some of the more "clean lines" feel in the backyard.  Then again, it may add interest in an unexpected way.

FLOORING
Everyone says to do hardwood, but the foyer is definitely a place where I'll do a tile floor since I like more detail in small spaces, period. 

THE LIGHTING DISAGREEMENT
I am flipping over this chandelier for the foyer if the size worked.  Alas, my husband emphatically says n.o. and that it "looks like a fish". 
 




This is our compromise, which I found at a local store.  I still haven't committed to purchasing it yet since the lines are a little curvy for my taste, but I do like it more than anything else I've seen.



BANISTER 
I'm undecided on a banister. I should probably go with something that is simple black iron like the top picture.  But I do wonder about a wooden one, as well...

1 comment:

  1. Thiet ke noi that phong khach yeu cau nguoi kien truc su am hieu ve phong cach kien truc va giau kinh nghiem. Kien truc Phong Vu tu hao so huu doi ngu Kien truc su chat luong va tan tam hang dau se giup ban so huu can phong khach nhu y

    ReplyDelete