2/4/13

Kitchen - Materials

Our old home had off-white cabinets with glazing, and was pretty much the "french country" style that was very popular for oh, a decade or more.  While I still think that is lovely, I'm taking an edgier step with our kitchen.  At the same time, I want to maintain style longevity and a seamless relationship with the surrounding "california-ish" architecture style.

My husband still likes the glazed-french-country-ish cabinets.
I'm tired of them. 

The good news is that we have agreed on one cabinet that appeals to us both:  the Starmark cabinet in "Villa Mushroom" that will hopefully not cost us a limb since it's the ONLY one we agree on.  Our compromise is that the finish is sleek and urban, but we'll go with a more traditional cabinet style that is hopefully inset, depending on cost.  Thankfully Starmark cabinets seem to get great reviews so that was a relief when I did my homework.

CABINETRY
Here's a picture of the FINISH (Villa Mushroom), it's a cross between an off-white and a linen color depending on lighting:



and here's a picture of the cabinet STYLE (this is actually Starmark's "Villa Pearl" if you are curious.  It can come across as very light  silver-white or grey, depending on lighting):




If it were up to me, I would do this cabinet style in a heartbeat, but thankfully it truly is an Italian-based fortune so I won't even attempt to ask:




and this is what the "Villa Pearl" cabinet finish looks like with my chosen solid hickory floor:



COUNTER 
I'm undecided on the actual countertop yet, but i have a feeling it will be an off-white quartz for a very fresh look, not sure.  

BACKSPLASH
As mentioned in my first Kitchen post, one thing I love about "Uncle Tom's Kitchen" is the stone wall, which happened by accident when they tore the garage down.  I know my kitchen couch wall span will be this stone.  I'm undecided if this will be my backsplash wall too, depending on how it flows with the existing great room wall.  



It will be the above, but with a cream-colored over-grouting technique like this:


LIGHTING - WHAT TO DO? 
Speaking of the above pic,  I plan on a similar concept with no above cabinet to the right of my fridge in that little angled space.  Perhaps with a drop-down pendant like the above, or an architectural element to add interest.  I know pendant lights are popular, but I just can't see them dropping down above my barstool area, can you?  I think it would become dated very quickly.   I'm thinking a dropped soffit with recessed lighting.    Then a cool hanging light above the kitchen table instead, probably also with a soffit to define that space.  What do you think?









No comments:

Post a Comment