2/1/13

Interior: Trim Choices... Which Do You Prefer?

BASEBOARDS

With the decision of windows and flooring made, it begs another very important question of trim work details. Given that I already know the style of my house (see previous post:  dark stained windows and a medium hickory solid floor) in that it is fairly simplistic and without a lot of ornate moldings, etc, deciding on any trim is a really important decision.  Our windows will have only a windowsill, no framed trim around it, and there will be no crown molding at the top of the walls.  So, the overall "feel" of the house can go in many directions.

Which do you prefer? 

There is the more seamless approach that simply blends what looks to be a shoe molding matched to the walls (where the floor meets the wall near the chair)...


Contemporary Living Room design by Birmingham Architect Erdreich Architecture, P.C.


or here, they've used tile as the "baseboard".  I probably can't afford to do this, but it sure is beautiful...

Mediterranean Hall design by Santa Barbara Architect Maraya Interior Design

Here, they've gone with a thicker baseboard detail and matched it to the paint on the walls...
 
Mediterranean Bathroom design by Los Angeles Design-build HartmanBaldwin Design/Build

and lastly, there is a bold, darker baseboard in contrast to the flooring here: 
 
Mediterranean Staircase design by San Francisco Architect Claudio Ortiz Design Group, Inc.

After much thought, I'm going with the last one.  I like some of the others for their more modern appeal, but if I think ahead 10-20 years from now, I think the last one will stand the test of time more.  I was actually at a friend's circa 1940's house and noticed there floors & baseboard were similar. I'll stain the baseboards the same as my windows.  

WINDOW RETURNS 
 
Another thing I've debated about is the window returns.  Originally I thought I would do very minimalistic windows with no sill whatsoever, and a drywall wrap only.  It would be similar to this, but with dark windows and a rounded wrap instead of a straight edge:

Modern Closet design by Boston Architect ZeroEnergy Design


but my architect thought it was a huge mistake, not to mention a maintenance nightmare with keeping it clean over time.  I value her opinion and after much thought, decided to do a simple sill only at the bottom, which if I really think about the longevity appeal again, makes a much more timeless appearance.  Similar to: 


Mediterranean Hall design by Atlanta Architect Thomas Thaddeus Truett Architect



So for the above choices, do you agree?  Why or why not? 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment