2/2/13

Bathroom - The Main Powder Room

I like drama in small spaces and have always loved a nice powder room.   My powder room is on the more spacious side because a) in my dreamworld we will someday have a pool and b) there is an exterior door to the screened porch.   This is the layout:





With just a little effort, the powder room can be so much more than the standard pedestal sink and toilet that seems to be the norm. So, I'm converting a dresser into a sink.  I looked around at various antique stores and boutiques in search of a great one to convert.  It's not complicated to do - a carpenter can usually pop the top off without much effort, provided you buy the correct piece.  I never did find what I was looking for, so I ordered this long ago to serve as a future sink:







Source: horchow.com via Shari on Pinterest

I've already found several remnant pieces at various stone yards that could ultimately be less-expensive for the counter top, mainly marble or quartz.  I envision a rectangular sink to the right-hand side;  I've never understood why sinks are always centered as it seems an impractical use of space. 

Once the sink is installed, my intention is to use a few lines of this tile above it:  .


and then to mimic this picture below, with a small lip of smoothed wood and a mirror flush above.  I'll wait to see how it plays out before committing to that additional step, however.  Side note: in doing this post, I just realized I need to figure out where a towel bar will go, don't I?




Windows and Floor
The windows were tricky in here.  Since the windows are visible to the screened porch, privacy was priority.   I opted on opaque glass for the exterior door to the porch and the window in front of the toilet, with that window also having a clear-glassed transom above it. Additionally, there will be an interior transom window above the door to the hallway, allowing even more light in.  I'm hopeful this will still create a light and airy space without compromising privacy. 

As to the flooring, I love a tiled bathroom floor.  However, if I do the above hand-painted tile scenario, I think that might be a little much.  What do you think, hardwood or tile? 

Lighting 
No clue yet.   Will update later. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment